Multiple End Points

hasanayaz
Site Admin

Multiple End Points

Postby hasanayaz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:42 am

Currently mazes can have single "End Region". With suggestions from several users, we are working on adding the ability to have multiple end regions. We are testing the feature and will soon release the update...

GS_UNIL

Re: Multiple End Points

Postby GS_UNIL » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:46 am

Currently mazes can have single "End Region". With suggestions from several users, we are working on adding the ability to have multiple end regions. We are testing the feature and will soon release the update...

Really fine! :)
Just to explain the reason why it would be interesting, let's consider a basic 8-arms radial maze. Usually, when animal perform such a task, there are several or one reinforcements in each arm's end. In some paradigms that we investigate, we calculate the errors of reintrance (linked to workig memory errors) and the time needed for the animal to visit all the reinforced arm's ends.
Having several reinforcments in MazeSuite would be interesting to simulate such an animal task. Then, this would prevent us from a creating a complex protocol, that's to say a protocol with each time a labyrinth with a different combination of valid reinforcment (f.i. if there are 4 reinforcements, in arms 1, 3, 5 and 7, the subject can first go in the 1 which means he would have to be in another labyrinth containing the solutions with reinforced arms 3, 5 and 7 and then choose the arm 5, for instance, which would imply to have another labyrinth with reinforcements in arms 3 and 7 and so on).
And add also for each possibility, which causes a factorial increase (for 4 reinforcements, 4!=24 possibilities, but 13 labyrinths, if I am right; it is not huge, but imagine with more reinforcements...) and the need for a heavy "if... then" system (f.i. "if arm 1 has been chosen, then go to labyrinth with reinforcements in arms 3, 5 and 7" and son on). (Note, I guess this may be done with E-prime, as far as we can connect both softwares.)
Anyway. Thanks for working on that! ;)

hasanayaz
Site Admin

Postby hasanayaz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:31 am

Thanks for your comments. I am not clear about what reinforcements are. Can you submit a sample.

By the way, Multiple End Regions feature is now available in the latest versions. To get the latest version, please run "update from web" app of Maze Suite.

GS_UNIL

Postby GS_UNIL » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:34 am

Well, I shouldn't have called 'em "reinforcement". I mean, for animal situation, inside a maze, for place learning or so, it's clear they've to have some reinforcement (i.e. a nut hidden in one or several arm's ends). For a human subject, there is no reinforcement per se, but just the satisfaction to escape the maze. The satisfaction to escape a maze doesn't seem to be enough to have some reinforcing value for rats (apart in the Morris water maze where the rat wants to avoid costly swimming).
Simply, with reinforcements I ment several end points. As rats may have several reinforcements in several arm's ends, humans may have several end points and have to find 'em as quick as possible, with less errors as possible, with the help of visuo-spatial cues.

hasanayaz
Site Admin

Postby hasanayaz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks for explanation, well, currently, multiple end regions are available, and you can also add an object or texture to indicate them visually. We have used "exit" sign that common in many buildings, so seeing it actually indicates an escape door...

Return to “General Discussion”