Buttons

GS_UNIL

Buttons

Postby GS_UNIL » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:41 am

Several questions:

- In the case I don't choose the mouse and its buttons for subject to give responses, isn't it possible to assign the vertical up-down head direction movements to some keys of the keyboard? (e.g. "up arrow" and "down arrow" as "up" and "down head movement", "left arrow" and "right arrow" for "left" and "right head movements", and "tab" as "walking forward")

(- Does anyone have some idea about which joystick or response box choosing that has a RSR232 connection?)

hasanayaz
Site Admin

Re: Buttons

Postby hasanayaz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:45 pm

Currently, look up and down can not be bind to a key button. We will add that in the next update.

With the RS232 connection, you can connect to another computer and MazeSuite will send specific bytes (markers) at exactly when certain event occur, so you can log these to correlate with other types of data acqusition, such as eye tracker, EEG, etc. Please let me know if you have any questions.

GS_UNIL

Postby GS_UNIL » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:13 am

With the RS232 connection, you can connect to another computer and MazeSuite will send specific bytes (markers) at exactly when certain event occur, so you can log these to correlate with other types of data acqusition, such as eye tracker, EEG, etc. Please let me know if you have any questions.

That's the point! But, joysticks with RS232 connection don't seem to be really easy to find. I guess some response box or experimental device may be the only solutions (so, more expensive). Anyway.

hasanayaz
Site Admin

Postby hasanayaz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:25 am

Well, RS232 is not used for joysticks in MazeSuite, any joystick that is recognized by Windows should work. I didn't understand, do you have a USB joystick that you want to use?

GS_UNIL

Postby GS_UNIL » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:07 am

No, I haven't tried with any joystick yet. I've a non-USB old one, but no more compatible connection on my PC. (My point was just about connection and avoiding packet data. But I gues sit is not useful.)
So, I'll certainly use the joystick. Moreover, your idea of including joystick is especially relevant according to my experience with maze protocols: all the people not familiar with computers, mouse and keyboard have problems to take the test. So, it's an important bias: we don't want to measure motor skills but viso-spatial navigation's. Anyway. I'll get a joystick soon.

GS_UNIL

Postby GS_UNIL » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:37 am

Ok. i tried with a joystick. The point is still the possibility to have buttons command for looking up and down. Without such a command, it is not possible to assign joystick buttons to "up" and "down" and to allow the subject to have some free look, as with the mouse. This is quite important and relevant I guess.
I noticed the configuration of joystick is quite thorny. Although it's meant to be more user-friendly, joystick appears to be much less accurate than the mouse and problematic, for the moment...

hasanayaz
Site Admin

Postby hasanayaz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:59 pm

The latest update added new functionality that addresses joystick and look up/down related issues. Please see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33

With this release, look up -> page up and look down -> page down buttons. And, you can change the assignment at the controls settings box.

hasanayaz
Site Admin

Postby hasanayaz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Lea, thanks for your note, sure, we will check the joystick button binding, the latest version was built with a different compiler than before, that might be the reason.

About the logitech, we haven't tested it with mazesuite, but if the operating system recognized it without specialized interface software, it should be recognized in mazesuite as it uses windows api with standard joystick interface.

hasanayaz
Site Admin

Postby hasanayaz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:34 pm

Just posted the maintenance release, see this. You can get latest version with MazeUpdate. Hope this helps, please let us know.

Return to “General Discussion”