the unit of path lenght

hamed

Re: the unit of path lenght

Postby hamed » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks a lot,
I changed the intensity value and problem solved.
Now the participant will be happy. :D

hasanayaz
Site Admin

Postby hasanayaz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Great :)

wonniepoo

Postby wonniepoo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:30 am

Hi! I also have a question of unit length as displayed on the text log file... I think it relates to this topic.

The text data file gives data for "Pos X", "Pos Z", "Pos Y", and "View X". Could somebody give me an exact description of what these numbers mean? For example, does View X report data of what the participant is "looking at" within the maze? I think negative numbers mean they are looking down, and positive means they're looking up? And the baseline view is -0.084? And do the positions X, Z, and Y change relative to their viewing angle, or is it a constant location based on where they are in the map?

I hope that makes sense... I just want to get a more specific description of what these numbers mean. I apologize if I missed the answer somewhere. Thank you for the help!

AdrianC

Postby AdrianC » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:46 pm

PosX, PosY and Pos Z are the units that an individual is located at within the Maze environment. ViewX, ViewY and ViewZ constitute a maze coordinate in the direction that the user is looking (ie: view vector + the current position).
The ViewVector itself is the 1 unit normalized direction that the individual is looking. and ViewX would be PosX+ViewVecX, for example.

Since Y is the vertical coordinate, a negative value would indicate a position below 0, whereas the difference ViewY-PosY being negative would indicate looking down.

wonniepoo

Postby wonniepoo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:13 pm

Thank you for your response, Adrian! I'm not sure I understand it completely still...

For my experiment, I'm trying to provide a moment-to-moment analysis of what the participant is attending to when navigating a maze. I set it up to where they can attend by remembering the direction that they took to reach the end goal, or by attending to contextual stimuli (3D objects that I placed high up in the sky). So in order for them to know where they are relatively, they can orient to the objects by looking up (kind of like guiding sign posts). Then what I'd like to be able to do is go back to the data file and know when the participant looked up at these cues anywhere in the maze by looking at the numbers. Sorry if that was confusing... I'm having a hard time trying to figure it out myself.

Thank you again for your help!

AdrianC

Postby AdrianC » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:53 pm

For this I would check the Y View vector. You should subtract the value of Y of the position from the ViewY position. If this number is greater than 0 then they are looking up.

Return to “General Discussion”