Images, Pics, Cues

GS_UNIL

Images, Pics, Cues

Post by GS_UNIL » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:21 am

In order to have some cues inside the maze, I created small walls and planned to show on 'em specific patterns such as white dots on a black background.
I created such patterns on Paint and turned 'em into .jpg. But, they don't get properly displayed. On the contrary, I used some of my holyday pics for the first mazes, and there's no problem for displaying 'em.
What's wrong? How to do?

hasanayaz
Site Admin

Re: Images, Pics, Cues

Post by hasanayaz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:32 am

There are texture settings that you can play with to get the desired effect. When you click on a wall, on the properties pane (right hand side pane), there's group of properties under 'Texture'. You can change aspect ratio, mode (stretch, tile), rotation, and texture size. Have tried changing any of these? What is the distortion that you are trying to correct?

GS_UNIL

Post by GS_UNIL » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:41 am

I tried to put "tile" instead of "stretch". I also tried to modify "TileSize". as well as "AspectRation", but this doesn't deal with that it seems.
What is weird is that the cues I made appear not in black and white but in grey and black with the black areas just hardly reconizable, defined only by a black outlines.
This problem with black and white cues has nothing to do with the use of .jpeg pics.

Is it a matter of 8 bits images vs. 16 bits or so?

hasanayaz
Site Admin

Post by hasanayaz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Yes, It might be a problem of scaling and bits. Try using gray scale values instead of absolute black that is RGB(0,0,0)... Even RGB(10,10,10) would look same to eye but it might not have the saturation problem...

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Tile size will increase the size of the image in maze units. So 2 will make the image as tall as a wall. aspect ratio varies how the image is stretched. The tile size controls the height and aspect ratio controls the width relative to the height. so a square image would be 1 and a widescreen image would be 1.6 or so. With the current open gl set up, anything that uses the absolute black color is showing up as white. I'm not entirely sure why this saturation problem exists for now, but the fix is very simple. Use any image editing program and increase the brightness by 1%. You should not be able to visually tell the difference in the picture, but the black areas will no longer display as white.

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:35 am

This issue should now be completely fixed in the latest release